Elizabeth (Litwiller) and Jacob E. Schwartzentruber Family
Left to right: Moses, Jacob E., Clarence (on his father’s knee) Rachel (Litwiller), Catherine Litwiller, Elizabeth (at the front steps of house built for Peter and Elizabeth (Lichti) Litwiller – also see page 17)
Leah Litwiller and Aaron Wagler
Leah Litwiller married Aaron Wagler in 1897. He was the son of Christian and Magdalena (Zehr) Wagler. Aaron Leah remained on the Wagler homestead, on the North side of Snyder’s Road between Baden and Steinmann Mennonite Church. They were dairy farmers and delivered dairy products in Baden. One time Aaron told one of his friends that he was an M.P. When the friend seemed surprised, Aaron explained the M.P. stood for milk peddler.” Leah was a gardener.
Aaron and Leah passed the farm on to their son Eldon who sold it to his son Ralph C. Wagler and his wife Caroline. Board of Education purchased part of the northwest corner of this farm for Waterloo-Oxford District Secondary School of the 1950’s.
Leah and Aaron’s son Milton worked on the Baden milk delivery and in the Baden Bakery as a boy. This was following many years employment at the Livingston linseed Company in Baden and in the Hahn Brass Company in New Hamburg. Milton was a councilor for the Township of Wilmot for several years. He was musically inclined and was the president of the Baden Musical Society about 1920. He played as an alto player with both the Baden Village Band and the New Hamburg Village Band. He was a volunteer fireman for many years. Milton’s wife Alice (Miller) was an active member of the Ladies Aid of St. James Lutheran Church in Baden. She enjoyed tatting and crocheting.
Elmina, Leah and Aaron’s daughter, was one of the first persons from this region to attend the school for the deaf in Belleville. She was there from 1920-1922.
(Excerpt from the 1981 Litwiller Genealogy and Murray and Mary Wagler)